Module I – Contexts of modern research and careers in bioscience
How can I perform successfully in different research environments and enhance my employability?
- Varying roles of the researcher in the knowledge-based economy
- Identifying key transferable skills and knowledge beyond the scientific field
- Identifying my own personal situation and career goals
Module II – Managing interdisciplinary research projects
What does it mean to work on collaborative research projects with diverse organisations and goals?
- Understanding the different perspectives of project partners
- Key challenges in managing collaborative projects
Module III – Invention, innovation and the law
How can I exploit the results of my research?
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) definition and policies, publishing versus patenting
- Identifying my own IPR interests and those of my partners
- Making use of a patent exploitation office
Module IV – Acquiring research grants in a European context
How and where can I apply for research funding in Europe?
- Overview of funding systems in different EU countries
- Grant funding processes
- Building a consortium of project partners
Module V – Realising potential – exploiting research and technology
What is technology transfer and how can I use it to commercialise my research?
- What are the options?
- Entrepreneurial academics
- Raising funds to commercialise research